Friday, October 16, 2009

Ethical issues and issues in the enviroment

I wanted to share something that not only did I learn about it today but I have been learning it in my cultural anthropology class. The Yanomami in South America are being invaded by colonization and mining. Mining I learned does alot to the environment that the yanomami are living in. Mining, ranching, and health care are endangering these indigenous people. Mining has brought pollution. Over 1,000 gold-miners are now working illegally on Yanomami land, transmitting deadly diseases like malaria and polluting the rivers and forest with mercury. Cattle ranchers are invading and deforesting the eastern fringe of their land. This class is all about people and resources. I see that the yanomami are the people and the resource is their land. They have lived and hunted in the rain forest for centuries and now they are being manipulated and invaded by illegal practices of big business. Here is a video that I would like to show you.

http://www.survivalinternational.org/films/beautifulhere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Tyx3ouBSI


A tribe in brazil and how people came and deforested the land. I am just emphasizing on how humans can disrespect the earth they live on to make it look ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment