Saturday, October 24, 2009

Organic farming is the future

The most recent documentary we viewed in class on Cuba was extremely enlightening to me. While we have been discussing peak oil and what will happen in America in class, it never occurred to me that some countries have already dealt with this problem. The way that Cuba was able to adapt to a lifestyle that was not dependent on oil was truly eye opening to me. I never fully understood the purpose and importance of organic farming in the United States but now have found that is it something that interests me.
Organic farming decreases an individuals dependence on foreign oil, putting the power back into their hands. The benefits from organic farming are tremendous, they not only break us from the chains of oil but promote healthy lifestyles. The food that is grown is not genetically modified and does not contain chemicals from pesticides and fertilizers. People who run organic farms are doing a great deal of physical work, which increases physical well being as well.
Its clear from the situation in Cuba that organic farming is a sustainable and beneficial process. I believe that it is imperative for the United States to start making a shift toward organic use and give incentives for people who start their own farm or volunteer. Personally the documentary and this class as a whole has sparked my interest in this field and I’m seriously considering looking further into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment