Thursday, October 22, 2009

What will the US do?

When the United States get hit with the same problem that Cuba did, our lifestyles have to change dramatically. While sitting in class yesterday, I was listening to what everyone was saying, and I was imagining how we would have to live. Last summer I went to India to visit, and I learned that you learn to appreciate the little things when you don't have them. India, now is much more modern than it was before, but stil I wasn't able to adjust. The way I lived in India over the summer is what I would imagine the US would have to live when this peak oil problem approaches. There would have to be electricity cuts, planting more trees, increase in hand labor, and also transporatation would also have to decrease.
Electricity cut was the main part of my visit that I could not adjust to. There would be a set time, about 3-4 hours a day when the government of India takes electricity from the houses and uses that electricity to water the fields. I think this is a way of getting a higher output with the same amount of input.
Planting trees: I noticed that everywhere I went in India there were lots and lots of trees. And in the evening when there would be no electricity, the people of the neighborhood would get together under trees and cool down from the summer heat. This is one of the benifits of planting trees, another is food. The electricity that is given to the farms in India, so the crops that is grown in the farms can be distributed in the local community.
Alot of the work that is done in small towns is hand labor. There is no Wal-Mart in the small town that I was in. Evferything that was brought and sold was locally grown or from local businesses. This is one thing that the US needs to do to keep their money flowing within the nation.
Transportation, I didn't see much of bicycles in India as I saw in the Cuba movie, but I did see the public bus transportation. And it is true for India also, if you miss one bus because it was too you would have to wait hours for the next bus. There are also these buggies, that has a bicycle infront of it, but the back seats like two people. This is a form of local transporation with in 5 mile radius. I could not imagine myself in that kind of situation where I would be transporting people by biking.
These seem very harsh, but when the worst is here, you have to do what ever it takes to stand up on your feet again. This is one way that the United States can take in reducing the use of fossil fuels.

No comments:

Post a Comment