Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A class you actually learn in

My best friend, who has already graduated college, came back from his cousins wedding in Atlanta, where there is the world's largest aquarium. On the tour the guide was talking about over fishing the oceans and how some fish are a renewable source and others are not. As he recounted this story to me we were able to have a really cool conversation about the effects it is having on the environment or could if we continue. All I would have been able to do is listen and not contribute had we not seen the video Empty Oceans, Empty Nets on Monday. My friend had some questions about the reason why some fish were renewable and why some were not, and I was able to answer his question which made me feel like I was learning valuable information in a class, which as I'm sure fellow students are aware is almost unheard of. It was an exciting feeling to be able to have an intelligent conversation with someone about the problems the environment has and possible ways to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment