Sunday, September 27, 2009

Where have all the fish gone?

In the film, "Empty Oceans, Empty Nets," made me realize that the demand for seafood is at a sky high. I don't eat a lot of fish. My father on the other hand does, but he fishes in nearby lakes and ponds. Then he brings it home and cooks it. Every now and again we will buy fish at the local supermarket. Unlike the USA other countries rely on fish in mass quantities. The video educated me on this topic. I learned things that I was not very aware of or what has been going on out in the oceans. I think that in order for the fish population to keep up with the demand for fishermen to catch them is to not fish for awhile. Maybe a year without fishing to see if the ecosystem can grow. Then they can go back to fishing again. How else are we going to supply such fish for so many people? Fishermen maybe should go and find an alternative root to feed and support their families. It's the only way.

No comments:

Post a Comment