Saturday, November 28, 2009

Friends of the environment?

Over the break, I was searching for a new laptop; one that would be compatible to my school needs, but also last me through out my future schooling years. As I was doing my research, I realized that the environment has become a huge topic in our industries. Because the goal of our new future is to "go green", I realized that many companies are now advertising their products based upon how environmentally friendly they are. For example, I found it interesting that when searching on Apple's website, the new Mac Book Pro computers are environmentally friendly because they have smaller yet "bigger" battery size. (bigger meaning life span). The smallest pro has a battery life of 7 hours, and as each inch is added, the more hours that are added respectively. Mac is advertising their computers as more environmentally friendly because they reserve energy and don't need to be plugged in for even half the amount of times as windows, although I believe yes it does reserve our energy supply, but how much energy is actually needed to make these small compact batteries? Also, the computer itself may reserve energy and be "environmentally friendly" but how about the company and industry itself? When speaking to my uncle who worked for IBM, he stated that the only real way we can be environmentally friendly is if we return the computer back to the company itself when it is not being used and we are done with it so that it can be recycled. Therefore, to go green is up to the people and the community itself, and the industries are made of up our "people" and our "community". This goes to show that it is important that each of us take steps to help the community and not only what's in the best interest for us. This also can relate back to my topic, air, because I believe that it all comes back to the air we, plants, animals, and other specimen breath. If our air is healthy, then only can it give back a positive outlook for our environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment