Wednesday, November 25, 2009

old cell phones???

Today, while we were closing the residential halls, I was in the Quad office looking around. I found a recycling bin for old cell phones and ink cartilages. I got into a conversation with one of my fellow student staff member about recycling, and whether it helps us or not. I was explaining to her about how the electronics that we recycle, don't really get recycled in the United, but instead in a small village in China. So, as we were talking I started to think whether it is a good thing that we recycle or not? I know it's a good thing, but at the expense of what? I personally don't want to be responsible for young children in China, whether they work in this factory or not being exposed to lead. I came back and I searched the web for more information. I came across this video by Thomas Ricker ( http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/10/video-chinas-toxic-wastelands-of-consumer-electronics-revealed/) covered by CBS. I was shocked that the US alone, 130,000 computers are thrown out everyday and 100 million cell phones a year. In this article he explains that China meets the needs of US citizens and provides us with the electronics that we desire, but this is what we give them back in return. We send them the same electronics back after they are used so the people living there can be exposed to these toxic fumes, while we rest nicely in our homes breathing in clean air. This relates back to saving ourselves, or shopping our way to safety. We are doing it at the expense of someone else. I reccomend everyone watching these two videos, there are just full of information. The second video shows a camera team, that actually got to Guiyu, which is one of the towns that is affected by this toxic waste. This video gives us a first hand view of life of the citizens there and children playing in these junks. So, next time you just decide to throw out a computer or a cell phone, it might go throw your head that it might end up in one of these towns.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/10/video-chinas-toxic-wastelands-of-consumer-electronics-revealed/)



    this is the website, if you couldn't find it in the post. please check it out!

    ReplyDelete