Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I want it all

With the discussion on last Wednesdays class I can say success, and fitting into societies mold is something that I think about everyday.  Why do I feel so pressured to be successful and what is the real definition of success?  We are continuously pressured to grow to a higher social class and are often taught that the only way we can make it is to go to college and become a doctor, lawyer or politician.  Never realizing that maybe that is not the real meaning of success.  With money and power comes a lot of responsibility and with this comes sacrifices such as family.  It is known that the more “successful” a woman is as far as in the career setting the least likely she is to have a family.  The meaning of success has changed throughout the generations and between the sexes.  Our parents all want us to be better than them and to have the best, but if we continue this pattern the best will never be enough and will always want more.  I believe the pressure for me to be successful is not more from societal views but rather my parents and grandparents.  In a family where my grandmother threatens to disown her grandchildren if they are not successful and don’t attend college.  In a family full of surgeons, doctors, lawyers and business owners I often wonder are they happy because of their status and career or is it something else.  Here I found an article that what sums up the meaning of success, or at least what it means to me. 

http://www.thewisdomjournal.com/Blog/how-do-you-define-success-six-factors-to-consider/


No comments:

Post a Comment