Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

"Increasing food production to feed an increased population results in yet another increase in population."-pg 139

"And in spite of all the mastery we've attained, we don't have enough mastery to stop devastating the world, or to repair the devastation we've already wrought." -pg 82

"You know how to split atoms, how to send explorers to the moon, how to splice genes, but you don't know how people ought to live."-pg 87

A) Ishmael taught me about biology in a number of ways. It taught me that biology is very much a study of the future. I had always thought of Biology as a factual science. Once things are discovered they become fact and that is Biology. Ishmael showed me that looking into the future is very much a part of Biology and foreseeing problems on the Earth are just as important as the facts.
B) Ishmael changed my outlook on the world by showing that everything we do has a consequence and it is important to realize that so we can make better choices for the Earth. It showed me that sometimes we need to evaluate how much are actions are going to carry into the future. We need the Earth to live and we have to take care of it now. We cannot blindly live our lives causing destruction to the planet.
C) I learned that I need to live my life in a way that takes into account the consequences of my actions. I found that I need to care more about the Earth and the environment because without it there is nothing. I think I will try to make more of an effort to live a life of awareness while still trying to maintain a happy existence. I don't think this will be hard since doing good does bring me happiness.
D) What I learned from Ishmael directly relates to what we have learned in this course. Much of what we have been studying is the problems the Earth is facing and possible solutions. Ishmael just reaffirmed the things I already knew from taking this course. The message from this course and Ishmael seem to be very similar. Both tell us that we need to take better care of the Earth before we cause so much destruction that it cannot be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment