Friday, December 11, 2009

Undercover Investigation

"This is a glimpse into what is often an overlooked stage in a farmed animals life, yet is speaks volumes of their misery as well as our own humanity." - anonymous
A few weeks ago, I collaborated with a group of women from the class Perspectives of Women, Feminism Theory 220. We were given the assignment of investigating and researching food politics. Food politics is a big umbrella term that implies the government, culture, ethics and religion surrounding food. Our group broke this assignment down into 4 distinct parts and we all became mini-experts in the field we researched. The first part was investigating the local beef and dairy industry second what is really in your food third how is effects your body and fourth how this all ties into the elements of oppression. My part was the local dairy and beef industry.
I had a great opportunity to do some “under cover” investigation, where my husband and I went to our local auction barn, located in Cambridge, NY four miles from where I live. I was able to video tape the conditions of the cows being auctioned. What I saw was unnerving for instance the utters on the dairy cows were bulging with milk which is known to be painful to a cow and the USDA 'suggests‘ that farmers milk dairy cows while waiting to be sold. In addition, their hoofs were rotted and I could see plain as day they were ducked taped back together. The cows were significantly under weight, grant you, dairy cows have hips bones that protrude, but it was very clear that these cows were too skinny; one could see every rib bone. Many people do not realize that 90% of the hamburger sold in stores comes from dairy cows just like this. Some footage of my investigation is posted on you tube, just follow the link.
On November 22nd, my group presented a twenty-five minute presentation on this information to our feminism class and we were well received, I got especially great feedback about the video I shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment