Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"Reasonable lives"

The discussion today we had in class was mainly about education system. I think i can compare education system here in US and India since i went to school in India for 12yrs. I was in India till i was 15yrs. My life in India was completely different than life here. I went to same school from kindergarten till sophomore year. There was no such things called elementary,middle or high school. After senior year we can choose our own college but the only difference is that we cannot transfer colleges or switch majors like we can do here. And there are not that many options there like we do have here. That is why i am glad i have the opportunity to go to college here. Most of my friends are struggling now in India to find a job after our economy went down. But I feel like we learn more in India than here. I started learning physics, chemistry and biology when i was in sixth grade and i learned those subjects here when i was a junior in high school. So if we compare that we would know how much we are behind compare to other countries. In my high school here, my counselor put me in Math 2 level class and i knew everything in that class so they put my into high level class. Using of calculator is another problem why we are behind too. We use calculators for everything while In India we had to memorize the tables and never get to use calculators unless it is some big test.
But I feel like in colleges here, we get so many opportunities to learn that we like and we just don't use it wisely. Many people just waste their time just by switching their majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment